The New Year is just around the corner and it is a great time for property managers to start new practices and get some systems in place that make their jobs easier and improve their tenants’ lives. If you’re a property manager, here are five ways you can get the year started right.
- Inspect your properties. This is a great time to check everything from paint to heating systems and any other aspects of the property you are responsible for to give you a baseline of good health for the year ahead.
- Get an answering service. Tenants need to be able to get help any time of the day or night. Even if it’s not an emergency, it can be reassuring for them to know they can reach out and contact someone whenever they need to. This takes the burden off you but ensures your tenants are still taken care of.
- Find out what automated systems might be useful. There is a lot of terrific property management software out there that can save you valuable time and can make things easier for your tenants as well. Even if you already use a kind of software, you might not be up-to-date on any changes, and updating it can always seem like a low priority. The beginning of the year is a great time to make sure your software is delivering what you need.
- Look into landscaping. Tenants will love having an outdoor area where their children can play or simply a nicely landscaped garden for the community to enjoy. Amenities like these attract quality tenants who want to stick around.
- Focus on retention. Empty properties can be costly, and finding the right tenants can be difficult. If you already love the tenants you have, spend some time over the New Year thinking about how you can keep them. You might even consider designing a survey to find out what is important to them and what they would like more of.
Sometimes, property management can feel a little bit more like it is a reactive rather than proactive industry. Just as the New Year gives you a chance to take stock of your personal life, you can do the same with property management and figure out ways to make the year ahead the best one yet for both you and your tenants.
Centratel is an elite national telephone answering service located in Bend, Oregon. Centratel’s Property Management Answering Service assists hundreds of property managers handle overflow calls, capture leads and forward calls. Whether you’re managing rental homes, renting out apartments, managing an HOA or senior living facility, a property management answering service is an ideal solution.