Think about the last time you had to contact a company because of an issue with their product or services. What was the experience like? How did you feel about the company afterward?
A business is only as good as its customer service. Your customers always have the choice to take their business elsewhere, and they will do so if they are unable to get the response they need from you. This is why it is so important not only to train your employees to deal with difficult situations, but to choose the right answering service for your company as well. At Centratel, our telephone service representatives (TSRs) are dedicated to helping your customers as though they were our own.
Great customer service is not just about problem-solving, though of course that is a critical element. It is also about empathizing with customers and letting them know they have been heard. Here are a few tips for providing that great service:
- Be available. Customers should be able to contact your company after hours since limited hours could be inconvenient for them. Furthermore, problems can arise at any time of the day or night.
- Remain calm even though the caller may be emotional. It can help if you remember that the emotion is not directed at you personally but is toward the situation.
- You may need to spend a minute or two simply letting the customer vent.
- Acknowledge the customer’s frustration. Apologize.
- You can do all of the above without losing control of the interaction. After giving the customer a little time to talk, ask pointed questions to identify the critical elements of the problem.
- Identify and communicate a solution to the customer. Be thorough.
- Reiterate that the company values the customer and the customer’s feedback.
- Remember that customer service is not just about soothing customers over the phone. Take the necessary steps to provide the solution you promised the customer. If you told the customer you would follow up in some way, make a reminder for yourself to do so.
One thing to keep in mind is that great customer service also involves being proactive. In other words, you don’t just wait for your customers to contact you when they have problems. You can contact your customers from time to time to find out what their concerns are and how you can improve your products or services. Companies usually find that the benefits of providing great customer service far outweigh the costs.
Great customer service is a skill that requires both proper training and a talent for connecting with and helping people. We understand this at Centratel, and we also understood the importance of making sure that someone is there for customers at all hours. Our customers make our business; without them, we wouldn’t exist. We’ve seen great results from our approach to customer service. Give it a try. We bet you will too.
Note: Centratel Telephone Answering Service focuses on a select number of vertical markets, including Medical, Veterinary, HVAC, Home Health and Hospice, Property Management. Centratel answering service serves approximately 1,400 clients. Located in Bend, Oregon, we provide services to clients in every one of the 50 states. There is simple pricing with no hidden fees and no long-term contracts. Is your business or profession one of our answering service specialties?